The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

Third Book in the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan


 
(taken from Amazon.com)

When the goddess Artemis goes missing, she is believed to have been kidnapped. And now it's up to Percy and his friends to find out what happened. Who is powerful enough to kidnap a goddess? They must find Artemis before the winter solstice, when her influence on the Olympian Council could swing an important vote on the war with the titans. Not only that, but first Percy will have to solve the mystery of a rare monster that Artemis was hunting when she disappeared-a monster rumored to be so powerful it could destroy Olympus forever.

As Percy gets older, his world continues to expand, and he encounters more characters from Greek mythology. I have to admit that when I first read this book, if I had not had some general mythological knowledge, I would have been terribly lost, and even so, there were many more characters and scenes that flitted in and out of the story where I was just kind-of like, "Uhh, sure, right, okay--". I think if I knew all the stories, I would have been able to connect the dots better, anticipate what was going to happen (or try to, anyway), and understand the full picture of how the plot points connected together at the end of the book. Nevertheless, I find that if I enjoy the characters and narration enough, I can pretty much tolerate anything else that the writer throws into the story, be it weird, unpleasant, or confusing. Percy was even funnier in this book I felt than in the preceding ones, which allowed me to not be too bothered by getting lost in what an ophiotaurus (??) was. We are also introduced to not just one new significant character, but several, with some unresolved backstory (and in other cases, love triangles) that proceeds to play out in the subsequent books. 


Overall Rating: 7 / 10 Stars 

It really feels like Rick Riordan has hit his stride in the book in terms of style; he manages to balance sarcastic wit sprinkled with a sense of poignant truth that makes Percy's character both funny and endearing.


Comments